Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Some random thoughts

Well just doing a little Google searching I noticed this little old blog referenced on Baltimore's WNST site. Looks like I've been noticed a little bit so I guess I'll have to keep this a little more up to date. I do most of my posting at OriolesHangout.com as you might know under the screenname I post here, but I'll try to share a few more things here seeing as I am starting to get a little bit of an audience.

******

It seems MacPhail and Trembley decided the Hernandez experiment wasn't a complete failure after all as he started at SS on Opening Day, however the Cintron signing shows that MacPhail is keeping Hernandez and Fahey on a short leash. Cintron didn't make my list of available SS's because at the time I posted that he was still with the Cubs and there is question regarding his arm strength, however he should be an upgrade over Brandon Fahey anyway with the bat as a utility player if the Orioles want to go that route.

I'd still like to see the Orioles get a more permanent option and my #1 target next offseason after Mark Teixeira would be Khalil Greene from the Padres. PETCO has killed his offensive numbers and it's been said he wants to move back east to be closer to his home in South Carolina. Greene grew up in PA, so he'd be a perfect fit in a ballpark that wouldn't hurt his #'s at home and he'd be a solid #5 hitter after Markakis and Tex. I would look to trade one of our young SPs and Nolan Reimold, as SD has no OF prospects to speak of.

******

The early results on the bullpen look quite promising as Albers, Burres, Bierd, Walker and Bradford have all held the fort after the starters have exited, and tonight George Sherrill got his first save as an Oriole reminding some of the days of Randall K. Myers and most recently B. J. Ryan. This guy is a keeper and will be a key for playoff runs in 2010 and 2011 if we do keep him as we should. Randor Bierd has also proved to be exciting especially with that changeup that was taught to him by none other than Pedro Martinez. He should be really fun to watch and should develop into a fixture in the pen, provided Trembley doesn't burn him out. But Trembley's bullpen management has seemed solid these past two games. Using Albers for three innings and Burres for one on his throw day, was a great bullpen saver. This allowed Walker and Bradford to go tonight and I will assume that Sarfate will get the call tomorrow.

While the bullpen looks good, the starting pitching has some issues. Guthrie just didn't have any movement on his pitches, Cabrera had problems with location as usual and now we've got Steve Trachsel ready to pitch batting practice tomorrow. Not exactly your dream rotation. However with the exception of Adam Loewen, these guys are just in the rotation to eat innings. The next good group of Oriole starters is in the minors with Chris Tillman, Jake Arrieta and Chorye Spoone leading a talented bunch of pitchers. The Orioles probably have as talented a group of young SPs as any other club in baseball. And they aren't too far away. So when Trachsel gets lit up tomorrow, just think that Chris Tillman will be mowing down those same hitters possibly as soon as next season. That Bedard trade looks better and better...

And speaking of that trade, the key acquisition, Adam Jones had a great night tonight collecting his first hit, RBI and SB as an Oriole. Congratulations Jonesy, may they be the first of many more this season and in the years to come.

4 comments:

Jonesy10mom said...

It was wonderful to watch my Jonesy's first hit, rbi and sb as an Oriole in Wednesday's game against the Ray's. You made me so proud and although you really don't like me blogging and whatever, my grandkids will one day be happy to see all of this.

I am just so very very proud of you and so is the rest of your family.

Mommy

JTrea81 said...

Thanks for posting. I as an Oriole fan am glad your son is an Oriole. You and your family should be proud of him. He's accomplished some great things and much greater things are in store for his future as a Baltimore Oriole. We are lucky as Oriole fans to be able to watch him play for our team.

Jonesy10mom said...

To jtrea81: Expressions of thanks go out to you and all other Jonesy fans. Expect comments periodically until Jonesy shuts me down. (smile). He is truly humble and just wants to go out there and give 110% for his team so I say, GO Orioles GO!

DempseysArmy said...

Yes, keep up the good work!

I enjoy your posts but I have to wait weeks to get new stuff...

Heath

Dempsey's Army